Friday, June 29

Discomfort

After our meeting last night, Pipiltin, Urukha, and I gathered as we usually do in the Regent's study after the tribe's weekly meeting. This is a time when the elders sit in wait to listen to the concerns of the tribe, and when I, as the tribe's head scribe, record the important things said during the meeting onto parchment to be kept safe for the future.

This night, as it would seem typical lately, was quiet. Only the three of us occupied the hut all night, and Urukha and Pipiltin discussed their matters while I focused on my work. My concentration would break, however, on a certain point of discussion: things we do when nervous or upset. Pipiltin attempted to conceal her feelings about something troubling her, but Urukha pointed out that when she did this, she would rub at her neck. Pipiltin became frustrated, but Urukha noted that many did such things, myself included. I was made aware that I tend to scratch at my mane behind my ear when I am troubled, and Urukha draws symbols in the air with her fingers when she is nervous or upset. I do not think I would have noticed these things if they were not said.

As the hour came to a close, Pipiltin began to speak of an endeavor they were working on, and procured a scroll. Intrigued, I asked what this was about, and she told me that Za had given her a scroll describing different positions two people could take. At first I had assumed she spoke of combat stances, to improve how one would defend themselves or fend off an attacker. To my surprise, it was a list of different ways two people could mate. She happily showed me the list and explained a number of them, but I could not look at the scroll, or her... I will admit that I am intrigued by the contents of the scroll, however I did not want to think of Pipiltin and Urukha in the act of mating. I was also made uncomfortable by the fact that I have not found a mate of my own, and wondered if this scroll is something I should have been looking at. I do hope I have not done something to disappoint or anger my ancestors...