Friday, December 21

Maengun

As the previous night came to its end, I sat by the tribal bonfire as I had in the past, preparing a pipe to smoke herbs. A spirit wolf approached me - I thought it was Pipiltin at first, but to my surprise, it was Maengun.

I had met Maengun in Silithus, and then again later in the Un'goro crater, during the time my camp was there. In the beginning, she was hostile and rude toward me, and insisted that she did not need my help. This would change soon, when she was attacked by a venomhide ravasaur and fatally poisoned. I found her in the jungle, alone and dying, and I could not leave her even though she insisted that she was well enough alone. I brought her to an explorers' camp nearby and paid the goblins for an antidote, and she would soon make a full recovery. Despite my telling her that she owed me no debt for what I had done, she insisted that she did... and the next day, she would get the change to repay this debt. I became the prey for a devilsaur, a creature I was told did not exist anymore, and Maengun came to my aid, dispatching the beast. She feels that she had repaid a debt, but like with Nystia, I will remember this for as long as I live, perhaps even longer.

In the crater, she told me of a mission she set herself upon, and expressed regret for something she said to someone long ago. Last night I learned that this mission was to search for her father; she had, in anger at his need to hide her from the world, told him that she did not love him, and ran away. When she returned to her home later, he was gone, and she has been searching for him since... until now. She has given up on her search. I tried to encourage her to not give up, but in doing so, she recalled these painful memories and the thought that she may not see him again, and became upset.

I am happy she had found the tribe after we parted ways a month ago, but I am angered with myself for causing her needless pain. I wish to help her, somehow... and it is not just because she is now family to me. I still feel that I am responsible for ensuring she is in good health and spirits.