Friday, December 28

Under My Wing

To my surprise, Maengun chose to attend last night's tribal meeting. As I expected of her, she spoke quietly and sparsely, and seemed withdrawn. Afterward, I approached to speak with her, to ask how she fared... I did not have this chance during the night of the solstice, when she left us early in the night.

We sat under Mu'sha's watchful gaze for a time and spoke of many things. She confided in me that she was shy, and wished to know some more of the others in the tribe. She was interested to know if there were many more shu'halo in the tribe, and how many of them were female, to find others to bond with. As I write this, I remember that she only had her father during her childhood, and has been alone ever since she ran from him. She has not known anyone she might call mother. I can only name two females in our tribe, and I have not seen either in very long. She had said that she would try to speak with females of other races... I hope that they can offer the bond that she seeks. She also seeks to better herself in the ways of the elements. I suggested she seek out Pipiltin... I do not know if there is anything for her to learn. I still see the smoking corpse of the devilsaur in my sleep, at times. Though, I am not a shaman, and I have proven my incompetence in such things before. Despite this, Pipiltin had somehow opened my ears to the spirits. I think, if there is anything that Maengun must know, it is Pipiltin that will show her.

As I am unable to help her in the ways she needs, I had offered to take her under my wing... to allow her to come to me if she felt lost, as others, especially Pipiltin, had done for me when I was an initiate. I was not sure what to expect... on one hand, I thought she would reject my offer, and say that it would not be necessary. But, I have seen that she has begun to open her heart to me... she spoke of a painful memory before, and just earlier asked me to hold a secret for her. She thanked me. I am happy, for I now certain that she sees me as a friend. I pray she will soon open up to others in the tribe, and find a place in our family.