Saturday, January 5

A Good Friend

Later into the night, I found Maengun in our Commons, eating the box of truffles I had sent to her, quite audibly. As I entered, she noticed, and looked up at me as though she had done something wrong. Her face and hands were covered in chocolate. I could not help but find humor in this, and briefly I wondered if I behaved in a similar way when I was given food made by Pipiltin. I sat with her to talk; she received my letter, and asked why I wished to be her friend. I told her as I have written here before: I enjoy her company, and I wish to know that she is well. She told me that the reason for her eating the truffles in the manner I found her in was because it was not often she was able to have such foods. We began to talk about various things we have eaten, and she suggested I try grapefruit. It is as she said: sweet, but tart. I am unsure if I like it, but I was told it is something one must learn to like.

We also spoke of our passions, and what we most enjoy to do to pass time. I was surprised to hear that Maengun does no such thing. She has been so focused on finding her father, and surviving on her own, that she has not thought of what else she may enjoy. This worries me, as she has recently given up on her search. I am led to believe that she now feels she has no purpose, and I pray that she does not actually think this. I had felt this, and similar things, briefly, as Yogg-Saron played with my mind those many months ago. It is the most saddening thing I have ever felt. I cannot imagine feeling this way for longer than I had.

I reminded her of her abilities in the way of the elements, and asked what else she was able to do, determined to help her find a purpose in the tribe. She reminded me, in turn, of wood carving. When I found her in Un'goro, on the brink of death, and brought her to the nearby camp to be treated, she had carved my likeness into one of her totems and left it with me as a token of gratitude for saving her, before leaving the camp with some of their possessions. I hold onto it still... it sits on a shelf in my hut, and I told her of this. It is a simple carving, but it still holds a certain beauty. She seemed quite pleased that I thought her work to be good... I believe she may create beautiful things from wood, with enough practice.

Before I left, I reminded her of the chocolate stuck in her fur, and of Stonebull Lake, to the northwest. Tomorrow marks the first full week of this month, and that would mean that the Darkmoon Faire will be open. Ever since finding some strange things in the surrounding forest during Brother Qua'nah's gathering, I have not been able to enjoy the Faire on my own. Perhaps I shall ask Maengun if she wishes to accompany me, this time. It will distract my mind from the many questions I ask of the faire, and perhaps she will find something that she will enjoy?