Friday, January 4

My Ideal Mate

At the end of our tribal meetings, we choose a single person among us and place them into what we call our "circle of questions." They are asked a single question by each person in the circle we stand in, and then are able to turn to one of us and pose a question of their own. Last night, I found myself being asked the final question, by Urukha.

"Describe your ideal mate."

This is not the first time that I have been asked a question like this, and it is something that I have not put very much thought into. Urukha once before had asked me a similar question, and a few days before, Annjia had asked me if I had a mate. I was once told by an elder shu'halo, that searching for a lifemate is something that is best to wait upon, and that I have my entire life before me. But, I have been told by others that perhaps I am in need of a mate, to care for me in my times of need, and to have a companion I may share my experiences with.

Last night, I was placed in a very uncomfortable situation, and did not have an answer ready to such a question. I tried to give an answer, but I was not sure if it was the true answer, or if it was complete. I have since slept upon the question and given more thought to it...

I suppose I must first be able to call my mate a friend. I must be able to trust her, to be by my side when I need her, and she must be able to put the same trust in me. She must be patient and understanding, for there are many things I still do not know, of the world and of myself. She should share my love of children, for it would give us both great joy when a child is born to us. Above all else, she must be kind towards myself, my friends, and my family.

These things I believe would allow me to live happily with the female I wish to call my mate. Though, I am again wondering when I will find her, or when she will find me. How will I know when we have found each other?