Sunday, April 8

The Witch Doctor, Kazak'guul

I was unaware that our tribe housed a troll witch doctor, named Kazak'guul. I met him proper yesterday at the dedication of the tribe's burial grounds, which he was apparently responsible for building. He seems to be a kind troll, though he emits an unsettling aura, and his gaze seems to pierce my being.

He is adamant about caring for the spirits of the dead, and seems to have no qualms with tearing someone apart who might disturb them. I watched him become quite restless at our tribal meeting, when Valtirus said something that suggested doing research involving the dead, and Kazak'guul threatened him before Valtirus corrected himself and made it clear he did not plan to do such a thing.

Urukha had supplied me with a jug of rum yesterday as we approached the gates of this hallowed ground, for dedication to the witch doctor's "loa," their word for ancestral spirits. We were assured that this was merely a token of gratitude in good faith, and not a sign of dedication to the spirit. I believe he called him "Bwon Samdee." I should be sure of this, as I do not wish to invoke Kazak'guul's anger due to ignorance.

After the dedication, I spoke with the witch doctor and learned of the "loa" and the significance of what myself and the others had done within the burial ground. Curious, I asked him if he was able to commune with the spirits of the dead... I am still troubled by Theran's passing, and I have been unable to pay my respects to him in the way I wish I could. He told me to return later with something of significance to the spirit.

We met later that night. I had brought my greatsword with me, the weapon Theran had given me as a gift, for realizing my potential as a Sunwalker under his watch. I explained to Kazak'guul that I wished to construct a memorial to Theran, and let his spirit know personally that I was doing this. Kazak'guul said he would seek out Theran's spirit, and was honored that I asked him to do the task. He will see within the next few days, when he locates Theran.

My friend... I am sorry I have not been able to be there for you, even in death. I shall visit your grave at Red Rocks next time I am in the Ravine.